Monday, February 22, 2021

Top 20 Books I Read in 2020

 


I read 103 books in 2020, if you can believe it. Here are my 20 favorite, in alphabetical order. There's some crossover with my 15 Best Books I Read in the First Half of 2020 list, so head over there if you want more recommendations. 

I'll be linking all books to Bookshop.org, where you can support independent bookshops and give me a few cents to buy more books if you purchase through one of my lists. REMEMBER: no buying books from Amazon

1. 84, Charing Cross Road by Helene Hanff

        WHAT I LOVED: It's a collection of letters between Helene and a used bookshop in London and how she becomes friends with all the staff over the years. Sounds lame but the moral of the story is to Just Go! Live Your Life! The Future Doesn't Exist So Don't Count On It To Be There! That's what I gathered, at least. Also it's a cool look into post-WWII England. 

2. Brilliant Maps for Curious Minds by Ian Wright

        WHAT I LOVED: Lots of fun maps that highlight different facts and issues in the world! Just lots and lots of data compiled in a pretty way and honestly it's the perfect gift book for all ages.


3. City of Girls by Elizabeth Gilbert

        WHAT I LOVED: The audiobook was amazing and the best fiction book I've ever listened to. The narrator gives me big Carrie Fisher vibes. If you need an interesting, boozy auntie to give you life advice through stories (which is something we all need tbh), then this is the perfect book for you.

4. Cowboys Are My Weakness: Stories by Pam Houston

        WHAT I LOVED: 2020 has really turned me into a short story bitch. I love short stories! There's no time to fart around with a short story, the author needs to make every line and word count. And Pam Houston is so good! These stories are about women living interesting lives and I've already put this collection on my "to re-read" list.

5. Dear Girls: Intimate Tales, Untold Secrets, & Advice for Living Your Best Life by Ali Wong

        WHAT I LOVED: You'll love this collection even if you've never seen her Netflix stand-up specials. Ali is hilarious and relatable. Her essays on motherhood and study abroad in Vietnam and her relationship with her husband are my favorite. Definitely required reading for anyone that wants to marry me. 

6. Eiger Dreams: Ventures Among Men and Mountains by Jon Krakaur

        WHAT I LOVED: Listen. There is only one living white male author I love with my whole heart and that is Jon Krakaur. This is a collection of his best essays he's written over the years, so it's a great way to learn about all the different ways humans recreationally interact with the natural world.

7. Everything I Know About Love by Dolly Alderton 

        WHAT I LOVED: I love how honestly she talks about her friendships and big mess ups. Big Frances Ha (2012) vibes. 

8. Girl, Woman, Other by Bernardine Evaristo

        WHAT I LOVED: Evaristo is amazing. She is able to fit so many issues into ONE GOOD novel! The writing style is more "artsy" compared to typical fiction, but it's still super accessible. I liked how all the stories connected in little ways that make you feel a detective for piecing things together. 

9. If I Had Your Face by Frances Cha

        WHAT I LOVED: I've read a fair amount of Korean-focused fiction and this one really hit it out of the park. It's follows four women navigating life and trying to survive in spite of the patriarchy. Explores how beauty = power, but is it really power if you're only "allowed" power through men who think you're beautiful? Much to think about. 

10. Into Thin Air by Jon Krakaur

        WHAT I LOVED: I love Jon, okay? It's not a phase, mom! Hostels are great because you have no other option but to read the books you've always been meaning to get to someday. Today is someday!

11. Invisible Women: Data Bias in a World Designed for Men by Caroline Criado Perez

        WHAT I LOVED: The perfect book for men who claim to be feminists or don't think feminism is necessary. You should give this book to your male friend who says he's "fiscally conservative and socially liberal" and is an Elon Musk fan. That's the demographic this book will have the most impact on, because there's so much data they can jerk off to. A good book for everyone to read, should be on high school and college recommended reading lists. 

12. Little Women by Louisa May Alcott

        WHAT I LOVED: Very soothing, a balm for the soul. Reading this book was one of the rare times I felt truly relaxed in 2020. 

13. My Dark Vanessa by Kate Elizabeth Russell

        WHAT I LOVED: Actual complicated characters and questionable morals! Love that.

14. Shug by Jenny Han

        WHAT I LOVED: A re-read of a middle school favorite! You probably know Jenny Han from the All the Boys I've Loved Before fame, but I think this is her best book! She captures that weird kid-turning-into-adult conundrum perfectly. 

15. Standard Deviation by Katherine Heiny

        WHAT I LOVED: A true joy! Usually zany, kooky female characters can be insufferable or obvious wish-fulfillment, but this book is so sharp and smart! Can't wait to let a few years pass and I forget all the details so I can read it again.  

16. The New Jim Crow by Michelle Alexander

        WHAT I LOVED: A fantastic history of the American prison system and how its been used to target black people. Another book that is Required Reading on my life syllabus, along with Invisible Women.

17. The Princess Diaries by Meg Cabot

        WHAT I LOVED: I can't even describe to you how much fun it is to read this entire series. The first three books are narrated by Anne Hathaway and I NEED her to do more audiobook work because she is extremely talented. These books are great for when you need to give your mind a break but they're still very smart. 

18. Three Women by Lisa Taddeo 

        WHAT I LOVED: Taddeo follows three women and their sex lives over the years. Gets into the nitty gritty and I LOVE nitty gritty!!! You will cringe, laugh, feel sad, feel optimistic, feel everything. Especially when you remember these are real people. 

19. Troubled Blood by Robert Galbraith

        WHAT I LOVED: When I say I inhaled this book, I mean I read all 900+ pages in 4 days. I can't remember the last time I've obsessively read a book. I love how this is somehow fast passed and a slow burn at the same time??

20. You Think It, I'll Say It by Curtis Sittenfeld 

        WHAT I LOVED: I've been toying with the idea of liking short stories for awhile, but Sittenfeld has me 100% convinced. I adore everything she writes. She really is That Bitch.


I read a lot of good books in 2020 and am excited for what I'll read this year!
What did you read in 2020?

xoxoxoxo Vic