Friday, July 3, 2020

15 Best Books I Read in the First Half of 2020

how I'm tryna be

I'll be linking all books to Bookshop.org, where you can support independent bookshops and give me a few cents to buy more books if you purchase through one of my lists. REMEMBER: no buying books from Amazon

So far in 2020 I have read 50 books (some physical, some ebooks, some audiobooks...reading is reading!) and here are my favorites. Making this list made me realize how many great books I've read so far this year! You should read them too, then shoot me an email or message on Goodreads to tell me what you think or recommend similar books. 

1. The New Jim Crow by Michelle Alexander 
    READ IF YOU: live in America/care about America

2. Girl, Woman, Other by Bernardine Evaristo 
    READ IF YOU: haven't read a smart and good book in a while

3. If I Had Your Face by Frances Cha 
    READ IF YOU: imagine Gossip Girl but set in Seoul and dealing with more important issues

4. Sheets by Brenna Thummler 
    READ IF YOU: need help dealing with grief and also like the color pink

5. All Grown Up by Jami Attenberg 
    READ IF YOU: are or have been a self-absorbed person at any point in time

6. Human Acts by Han Kang 
    READ IF YOU: have never heard of the Gwangju Massacre in South Korea

7. Little Women by Louisa May Alcott 
    READ IF YOU: want to have some soft feelings

    READ IF YOU: want to be a cowboy and/or have sex with one

    READ IF YOU: need a role model to gentely tell you things you need to hear

10. How to Date Men When You Hate Men by Blythe Robertson 
    READ IF YOU: hate the patriarchy but still want a boyfriend while hating yourself for wanting a boyfriend

11. You Think It, I'll Say It by Curtis Sittenfeld 
    READ IF YOU: need to feel called out for things you probably didn't do but what if you did?

12. Middlesex by Jeffery Eugenides 
    READ IF YOU: haven't read a generational story in awhile or want a more literary version of Flowers in the Attic

13. Tangerine by Christine Mangan 
    READ IF YOU: want The Talented Mr. Ripley with a dash of The Bell Jar

14. Because of Winn-Dixie by Kate DiCamillo 
    READ IF YOU: haven't re-read this classic in the last five years

15. Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer 
    READ IF YOU: want to feel anxious, angry, and in awe

Happy reading!