Sunday, April 30, 2017

What I'm Reading: April 2017 #2


Books:

I had some time to kill in London and I was very tired after over 3 weeks of travel, so I just sat in Waterstones and read all of Laura Jane Williams' new Ice Cream For Breakfast.  I definitely want to purchase the book at some point so I can highlight my favorite parts and fill in all the prompts that are in the book.

In Waterstones I also picked up Caitlin Moran's new Moranifesto, which is a compilation of her columns for The Times and also some new essays.  I love how Moran writes (the only book of hers I haven't read yet is Moranthology), so I'm trying to be conscious of what I like about her writing so I can use it to improve my own.

I'm currently on track to read 50 books this year, which is pretty impressive because I feel like I don't read much at all!  I'll maybe read a few pages before bed and on my recent three week trip I often chose to listen to podcasts over reading (maybe because it's hard to read when annoying people are talking on the bus).  I definitely do need to commit to reading a little bit more every day though, so I don't do all my readings on binge days.  (Binge reading is fun of course, but not when you're doing it to make sure you're reading enough to hit your reading goal.)

Articles:

She wrote her boyfriend's obituary and didn't mention herself.  I choked up reading this.

Ask Polly: What Am I Doing Wrong With Men? This article will probably make you realize some things about yourself.

Why women shouldn't stop reading books just because the author is sexist.

Alternatively, young girls shouldn't read books written by men. (If I ever have a daughter I'll encourage her to only read female authors.)

I listened to the podcast S-Town and genuinely thought it was fiction, until I took a break during the middle of the very last episode to Google it.  Now that I know it's a true story with real people, I'm not sure how I feel about it.  Is it a story that should've been told at all?

Another article about S-Town.  Now that I know it's a true story I have this sinking feeling in my stomach and now I'm mildly distraught.

An artificial womb successfully allows little lambs to grow for four weeks in a natural progression.  That's so cool???

Blogs:

Not a specific post, but I get a lot of my suggested articles from Pack-Your-Passport's weekly newsletter!

Also not a specific blog post, but a blog in general.  I'm sure everyone is already reading her, but I just found Meg Fee's blog and I love it.  I'm randomly clicking on months in her archive, trying to absorb as much as I can.

“I wanted to say: do it all whilst you can, you know? Like you are doing. You don’t know when your time is up.”

Videos:


Apparently I lived under a rock in middle school because I had no idea who Old Greg was until I went to Greggs with my flatmates and can't stop saying "I'm Old Greg. Do you love me?".

Life:

Right now I'm just trying to make the most of my time left in Glasgow.  I have just under a month left, and one of those weeks will be spent in Ireland (which I haven't been to before!).  It's just...really bittersweet.  This city means so much to me now.  I dreamed about studying abroad for so long (literal years) and now I'm actually here and it's almost over.  Life comes at you fast, huh?

Quotes:

Look for something positive in each day, even if some days you have to look a little harder.