Saturday, April 15, 2017

What I'm Reading: April 2017 #1

Photo by Emily Morter

Books:

I finished Nasty Women on the bus from Madrid to Porto, which is a collection of essays inspired by the presidential election and published by a small press in Edinburgh, 404Ink.  Some essays were good, but most were forgettable.  I feel like they could've taken a little more time with the selection and editing process.

I've started Books v. cigarettes by George Orwell, which is also a collection of essays.  Orwell is just so clever I feel smarter just by reading him.

I also started If We Were Villains by M. L. Rio, which is inspired by Shakespeare and theatre culture in general.  It's by a young, first-time author so I'm a little apprehensive about the writing quality, but I'll give it a shot.

Articles:

Male authors thank their wives for typing their manuscripts. (And it's always "my wife", they never get a name, even though they did the rough work.)

I haven't watched 13 Reasons Why yet and even though I didn't like the book I'm excited to watch it eventually.  Especially after reading this review on how they managed to avoid using the male gaze in the show.

A 400 mile hiking trail just opened in Jordan. If I had to do a hike (lol as if anyone is forcing me) then I'd definitely choose this over the Camino.

What is your happiness formula? I'm going to write mine out at some point it sounds like a good exercise.

Will we ever stop discussing and dissecting the 2016 election? Probably not.  So here's a piece on the destruction of Hillary Clinton, a part of an entire book that actually looks pretty interesting (and will probably eventually read if my library has it).

"For anyone who has ever loved someone and then stopped loving them, or for anyone who has stopped being loved by someone, it’s a reminder that the immediate exit can be the hardest part." Rumors will forever be the best pop album (until Harry Styles' album drops, that is).

Blogs:

How I ended up writing for Teen Vogue.  I really need to start writing for my school's HerCampus next semester.

Videos:


I will never stop screaming about this.

Life:

How in the world is it already mid-April?  I'm a little more than halfway done with my three week Western Europe trip (I'm not really sure what to call it, because I've done 1 city in England, 1 in France, 3 in Spain, and 2 in Portugal).
I'm currently in Porto, which is beautiful.  I hate being away from my family on Easter (which is tomorrow for all you heathens), but if I have to be away from them I might as well be in a city full of churches, right??

Quote:

No quote this time I haven't been on the internet enough the past two weeks to find one!

I hope everyone is having a good week!  Happy Easter to those who celebrate!