Thursday, April 16, 2020

Alone in London

Everyone Welcome

Aside from the places I've lived, London is my Most Visited City. On my most recent visit I was only supposed to have a short layover but the airline I was booked on went BANKRUPT, if you can believe it. The universe gave me a few more days in Europe and I was grateful to experience London in the fall for the first time. I stayed on the couch of a friend I met briefly the previous June in Slovakia and hung out with another friend that I met in Bosnia and Herzegovina in July. Life has a way of working itself out. 

London also happens to be the first place I wandered around on my own. 

can you BELIEVE
I bought tickets for the Harry Potter play a year and a half before it came out, when I wasn't even sure if I was studying abroad in Britain. The tickets went so quickly and I knew this was my only chance to buy them, so I figured I'd cough up the ticket refund fee if I couldn't go. 

cheap nosebleed seats but it was still amazing

The plot sucked but the production level was amazing. I'm sure anything on West End is fantastic simply because of the money and effort put into each performance.


I do love London. I wish the food and cafes were cheaper, but aside from that it's a great city for someone on a budget. SO many museums, £5 standing tickets at the Globe Theatre, and bus fare maxes out at £4.50 so it's way cheaper than taking the underground. On a sunny day I spent a lot of time on a bench in this park near the Thames, just because I could and it was free. 
 

Have you been to London? I feel like people have pretty polarizing feelings about it, so do you hate it or love it?