Monday, May 15, 2017

What I'm Reading: May 2017 #1


This is my  bi-weekly series to share with you whatever I’m reading that has either interested, entertained, or angered me.  I’ll talk about the book I’m reading, articles I’ve read, blog posts I’ve liked, interesting videos, ect.  This is one of my favorite type of posts to read on other people’s blog, so I hope you will find some links you enjoy!
Want to know what else I’m reading? Be my friend on Medium and Bloglovin’ and Goodreads for more!

Books:

I finished Caitlin Moran's Moranthology and wow she really is one of my favorite writers.

I started reading The Miseducation of Cameron Post by Emily M. Danforth since I've heard good things about it and the ebook was on sale for $1.99.  I'm not too far in, but I'm really enjoying the commentary on Christian youth group culture and the complexity of the main character.

In the Dublin airport I picked up The Lonely City by Olivia Laing and The Trespassers by Tana French.  I love Tana French so much and I've barely read any fiction at all this year so reading her feels comforting.  I know I'll never be disappointed by her.

Articles:

Why 'kidulthood' is a gender issue

I'm (still) going through the archive of Anne T. Donahue's newsletter and came across this: a lil essay on how for a while having a "squad" was the end-all-be-all and the complications of that.  (One day I'll write about my personal issues with "squads", but for now just enjoy her writing.)

"The older I get, and the more people I speak to, the further I’m convinced no one has it "together" (quotations very much intentional), even the ones who look like they do on the outside." The ideas you have for your future will probably never work out the way you expect them to, and that's okay.

Why do we imagine working-class people as inarticulate?

I Grew Up in a Fundamentalist Cult: my church growing up wasn't this extreme, but it is eerie to see the parallels between this author's experience, my experience, and The Handmaid's Tale.

Lorde's feature in Rolling Stone was a fun read.  I wasn't a fan of Pure Heroin, but I LOVE the two singles she's released from the upcoming album.

This piece made my blood run cold.  The author's grandma died from an attempted at-home abortion because she couldn't access a safe (or legal) one.

How a dog getting cancer helped this woman come to terms with her mother's addiction

To end this section on a more hopeful note, here are things that 60 year old Jenna would tell her 30 year old self

Videos:


A disturbing trope where grown (hot) women are portrayed as innocent, virginal, simpletons.  And men, for some twisted reason, find that appealing.

Life:

The first half of this month was split equally between Glasgow and Ireland!  I did 3 nights in Dublin, with a day trip to Belfast, and 3 nights in Galway.

My time in Glasgow is coming to an end and I'm not prepared for that.

Quote:

"Even when I try really hard to not see things in very simple ways, those confines do still exist because I'm just so new to living. I'm excited to get older and get better and be able to do it like they can do it."
Lorde about life and trying to express herself