Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Glasgow Week 8: car rides and essays


I spent most of last week working on an essay.  I have three more essays due throughout the next month.  Eight pages due the 14th, 3000 words and 4000 words due on the 28th.  The 4000 paper is technically due at the end of April, but I'm leaving March 28th for London and then will be gone for about a month (bless Scotland's month long spring break).  I noticed with my last paper that I average on 500 (researched and well-written) words a day, so it's safe to say I'm going to spend a lot of March in the library though.  It'll all be worth it when I basically have all of April and May free to do whatever I want.

One of my friends rented a car for Sunday and Monday and I joined even though I had a lot of work to do and class to go to.  I knew I wouldn't be able to see Scotland like that on my own, since I'm barely under the age to rent a car and also driving on the left terrifies me.  It was so much better than a bus or a train because we could stop wherever we wanted and got to see multiple sites in one day.  When I come back to Scotland in the future, which I know I will, I'm definitely going to do it by car.

Glencoe
Loch Ness

Sunday we drove from Glasgow through Glencoe and stopped at the Three Sisters mountains and to Urquhart Castle and Loch Ness.



On the way back we got dinner at Drovers Inn, which is over 300 years old.  That in is older than my country.  I got a haggis burger which was AMAZING.  Just a slab of beef and haggis.

me being dramatic around mountains
Monday we left at 8am to go up to Inveraray.  We drove past Loch Long, the place where I almost died, and stopped to take pictures.  We went to Inveraray Castle and Inveraray.

Loch Awe. The name is fitting. 
Then Loch Awe and Kilchurn Castle, which is VERY muddy to get to so bring rain boots or hiking boots.

We ended at Dunnottar Castle in Stonehaven which was closed for training, but the outside is just so pretty so it wasn't a big deal.

It was a good week.