Friday, March 31, 2017

What I'm Reading: March 2017 #2

Photo by Rod Long

Books:

I finished Difficult Women by Roxane Gay.  I enjoyed this collection and really loved a few stories, but I don't think fictional short stories are my thing. I need more time to connect and care about the characters.

I also finished When Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalanithi on the bus up to Isle of Skye.  This is definitely one of my favorite books and it's sad that the world will never receive any work from Kalanithi again.

For a quick read, I downloaded is it evil not to be sure? by Lena Dunham.  It's a short collection of her journal entries from college.  They were interesting to read because I love diaries, especially non-traditional ones like Dunham's, but this collection is nothing earth-shattering.

I'm also halfway through The Radium Girls.  Hopefully I'll finish this on my travels next month since I'll be on the buses for way too long.

Articles:

Here is the very detailed plan for what happens when the Queen dies.

An article explaining everything wrong with voluntourism, and they also link to other sources for anyone who isn't convinced.

Single people buying houses (as apposed to a nuclear family) are reshaping the American Dream.

Jenny Slate talks about her breakup with Chris Evans and other things.  I'm completely obsessed with Jenny's mind I'll read/watch anything she puts out.  (She needs to publish a book of essays that'd be perfect.)

"Unlike messages of self-care that come from activist or mental health communities, which often encourage social connection and attendance to basic needs, corporate self-care messages of the kind Ms. Kisner cites generally promote forms of relaxation."  Self-care during political activism isn't the same as idleness.

Blogs:

10 Ways Travelling Alone Can Improve Your Life by Beverley of Pack-Your-Passport.  By the time you read this I'll be three days into my first (international) solo trip so I'm reading as much as I can on solo-ness to hype myself up.

Videos:


Life:

I saw Harry Potter and the Cursed Child last night and wow I really need to live in a city with a solid theatre scene I forgot how much I love plays.

Today I tackled 3 London museums in 5-ish hours: Tate Modern, National Gallery, and the National Portrait Gallery.  It's so trippy seeing paintings that I've only ever seen on computer screens in real life.

Quote:

Write, write, and keep writing and see what happens.
-Cheryl Strayed (from the video above) 
I'm going to do my best. I don't know if anyone will like it and it's absolutely none of my business if they do.
-also Cheryl Strayed, also from above