Wednesday, March 11, 2020

Last Day in Korea


Today is my last full day in Korea and I feel like I have indigestion. My lungs feel tight and every few breaths I feel a sharp pang. All I've had to eat so far today is a bowl of bibimbap and a convenience store coffee, nothing out of the usual and nothing that should make my body react like this.

But sometimes your body knows your emotions before your mind has time to register. I wasn't feeling particularly stressed or sad about leaving, but I'm also not trying to think about it too hard because then I will start crying. And crying gives me a headache and the last thing I want is a throbbing head before I get on a 13 hour flight (and then a 6 hour flight, and then a 1 hour flight...the world is too large).

Even though I've been chilling unemployed in Jinju for the past week, I think my body needs time to rest in my own space (trying to be a good house guest is exhausting). I'll be on self-quarantine for two weeks when I return, so I'll have time to sleep and not drink alcohol and exercise and blend some smoothies and read lots.

I'm not excited to go home (no real job, a dying uncle, the family repercussions that go along with that) but it will be nice to have my own space again. I'll have my bookshelves and my skincare and comfy flannel sheets and a dog to pet. Maybe my chest will stop hurting then.