Saturday, March 2, 2019

I'm Living in Jinju, South Korea!


crooked pic of a temple ceiling

It's official, I live here now! Wow wow wow wow wow wow.

I was placed in Jinju, in the Gyeongnam province, which everyone told me was really rural but is actually more populous that my state's capital. I think my definition of rural and Korean's definition of rural is very, very different. Of course, this place is tiny compared to Seoul, but ANY PLACE will lose in that comparison. I think Jinju is the perfect size for me. A good public transport system, fairly bike friendly, and once you get to your intended side of town (there are 4 distinct parts of the city, from what I've gathered so far) it's easily walkable.

I arrived here on Tuesday and start work tomorrow (!!!!!!) but will be living in a weird foreigner limbo for the next 3 weeks. I can't really do ANYTHING (get a functional bank account, buy a phone plan, etc.) until I get my Alien Registration Card (ARC) so I'm basically boopin' around town on my bike with no money and no data. Thankfully Jinju is pretty easy to navigate. As long as I can find the river that runs through town then I can find my way home.