Monday, March 16, 2020

playlists for the heartsick


I can't tell if I'm jetlagged or if waking up after exactly 6 hours of sleep is my new normal. Probably both.

Either way, I woke up at 4am and scrolled on my phone for an hour and a half, so now it's time to put my wired brain toward something a little more useful. Like a blog post only 10 people will read. Let's get it.

quote from a movie I watched on the plane home

Spotify playlists. I make a new one for every "era" of my life: one for each year of college, a new one for each big backpacking trip, one for all of my time in Korea, etc. But sometimes I notice a theme within these playlists, influenced by a strong emotion, and I am compelled to create an offshoot playlist.

So far I have two heartsick playlists, inspired by unrequited love (the only kind I know tbh). One is perfect for staring out a train window in Europe and feeling sorry for yourself (which is exactly what I did), and the other is great for getting deep into your emotions while still bopping around and doing the dishes.

I can't figure out how to embed playlists on this blog so I'll just link you to them. Have fun, have feelings.

I can't find a picture of the lyrics I love, so you'll just have to listen to Don't Delete the Kisses and wait for the gut punch

Playlist 1: T E R R I B L E   L O V E

Influences: Slovakia, train rides, Call Me By Your Name, crying on public transport but for different reasons, lots of The National

terrible love / the national 
sorrow / the national
england / the national
too much to ask / niall horan
tell me you love me / demi lovato
emotion / carly rae jepsen
want you back / haim
falling / haim
I wanna dance with somebody / whitney houston
the cure / lady gaga
fast car / tracy chapman
sleeping sickness / city and colour 
closer / tegan and sara
fools / troye sivan
what's love got to do with it / tina turner
boys / charlie xcx
ooh love / ria mae
futile devices / sufjan stevens

this scene murdered me


Playlist 2: heaven help me

Influences: Korea, when your heart hurts but you know you're still a bad bitch, yearning for love in general, that scene in Little Women where Jo says "I'm so lonely"
heaven help me / lizzo
all I wanna do / jay park, hoody, loco
stupid love / lady gaga
say it / maggie rogers
see you again / tyler the creator, kali uchis
adore you / harry styles
I think he knows / taylor swift
the archer / taylor swift
i'm so tired... / lauv, troye sivan
so hot you're hurting my feelings / caroline polachek
now I'm in it / haim
too much / carly rae jepsen
moderation / florence + the machine
love you for a long time / maggie rogers
someone's someone / monsta x
boyfriend / ariana grande, social house
does she / yuna, jay park
don't delete the kisses / wolf alice 
end game / taylor swift, ed sheeran, future
heartbreak weather / niall horan
put a little love on me / niall horan
no judgement / niall horan 

If you can't tell, Niall Horan just released a new album and it's full of bops. Happy listening and remember: the only way out is through.