Tuesday, January 31, 2017

What I'm Reading: January 2017 #2


This is my  bi-weekly series to share with you whatever I’m reading that has either interested, entertained, or angered me.  I’ll talk about the book I’m reading, articles I’ve read, blog posts I’ve liked, interesting videos, ect.  This is one of my favorite type of posts to read on other people’s blog, so I hope you will find some links you enjoy!
Want to know what else I’m reading? Be my friend on Medium and Bloglovin’ and Goodreads for more!

Books:

All Over the Place: by Geraldine DeRuiter.  I finished this the day after I published my last What I'm Reading post.  God, this book is so good.  I know DeRuiter is good in general since I love her blog, but book writing is different from blogging so I wasn't sure what to expect.  As always, she didn't disappoint.  I've never re-read a memoir before, but I'm definitely going to buy a physical copy when it comes out and go through it again.

The Yellow Wallpaper, a short story by Charlotte Perkins Gilman. Incredibly creepy and an incredibly quick read.  Not sure if I should include this as a part of my 50 books of the year, since it's a short story, but Goodreads has it as a stand alone option.  I'm currently reading White Teeth by Zadie Smith and that's a long one, so that will balance out my conscience.

In these past two weeks I also started and finished How to Murder Your Life by Cat Marnell, which is out in America today.  It's an addiction memoir and it's easy to read, but it was very tedious.  She seemed to be praising her addicted lifestyle with minimal self-reflection.  Her book really shows you how much you can get away with when you're rich.

2017 Reading Challenge: 5 out of 50

Articles:

Caroline Calloway did an interview with Girls at Library and it filled me with so much hope for the future of publishing and my own future.

Cheryl Strayed was $85,000 in debt when Wild was published.  An interesting look into the finances of a writer.

Obama on his love and importance of books.  Similarly, 79 books Obama recommended while in office.

Ayahuasca and sexual assault in the Amazon.  I first heard about ayahuasca in an episode of Chelsea Does.  She makes it look interesting, but for the love of god (and your own safety) please do not do drugs while travelling.

Women making art in response to Trump is my favorite thing.

In response to Nocturnal Animals: "If you make everything stylish, don’t make a film about rape and murder".  Adding this movie to my list of "if a man tells you this is his favorite movie/book/tv series, get the fuck outta there". (Maybe I'll make a post about that list someday; Fight Club and Game of Thrones are on it.)

Roxane Gay: By the Book.  I just really love it when authors talk about their love of books.

I think about time and aging a lot.  I feel like life is rushing by me at 21.  I don't have enough time in my life to do all that I want to do.  So I'm trying to listen to advice from a 30 year old: The Most Important Thing About Your 20's

If you need to laugh at a frustrating phenomenom: if women wrote men the way men write women

Blogs:

The Only Blogging Tip You Need to Know: "I was actively trying to create content that I thought people would like. I honestly believe this is one of the biggest mistakes you can make. You shouldn’t be creating content for other people, you should be creating content for you. You should be creating content that you find interesting, content that you’re proud of, content that if you saw it on somebody else’s feed, you’d stop and want to engage."

This Battered Suitcase's last installment in her "My Month Without Alcohol...and Men" was brilliant.  I've been a longtime fan of Brenna and posts like this remind me of why.  She opens up about her past relationships and how even though she is an independent women, men have still treated her like shit in the past.

Life:

I'm going to add a "Life" section on What I'm Reading posts from here on out.  Just to give you a little insight into the things I'm thinking about that don't require full blog posts of their own!

I'm thinking about seeing a chiropractor once I get home.  My shoulders hurt so bad on the daily.  It's probably because of poor posture but something still feels off.  Can I go see a GP here in Scotland just to talk about it?  We have a doctor on campus that does drop-ins.  That would be free, right?  I'm not sure how socialized medicine works, guys.

Quote:

I'm also going to leave you with a quote, because I think that'll be cute.  Look at me making changes and finding my groove! 

"I'm still asking you to believe - not in my ability to bring about change, but in yours. I believe in change because I believe in you." -Barack Obama
Thanks, Obama.

What were your favorite things in January?

Photo by Alisa Anton on Unsplash