Tuesday, April 21, 2020

I Was Wrong About Paris


I copied the poem "Paris in the Rain" by Alysia Harris into my journal with some ticket stubs. You should watch her performance of the poem, it's amazing.


Many people will disagree but this is a hill I'm willing to die on: France is the America of Europe. There, I said it. If you're French you'll probably be annoyed by that comparison but don't take it personally; I don't take it personally when people shit on America. It's fine, you'll live.

Anyways, the French are the Americans are Europe. (These are all generalizations I AM AWARE. No country is just one thing.) They think they're the best, they probably don't like foreigners messing up their nice stroll in the park to stop and take a picture, if you're in France you BETTER speak French or you're uneducated scum. Do any of these attitudes ring familiar?



I am aware that Americans have a bad reputation abroad, especially in France so I expected them to have the same animosity towards me. And many people were rude to me! I won't go into specifics but I promise you I was trying to be my normal polite self, using as much French as I could when required. But I didn't give a shit about how rude the native French people were because Paris was just too damn beautiful!

(Jk I will go into specifics about a funny incident. I was walking and passed by a cute dog so I said hello to the dog like usual, and the dogs owner called me a "stupid American" in French! Like damn, I just want to greet your dog. I hope that dog is doing okay with their bitter owner.)


Just look at this building!


Look at this place! Someone with a better memory than me will know what this cathedral is called, but all I know is that it's beautiful (and older than my country).


The Catacombs! We waited in line forever to get inside (underneath?) and it was 100% worth it. Definitely pay extra for the audio tour so you can actually learn stuff instead of looking at piles of skulls the whole time.


Hello sir!



I hadn't seen Moulin Rouge at this point (was forced to watch it later that summer in Slovakia) but I followed along with my friends. I took a picture of them in front of it and accidentally stepped on a grate, blowing up my dress for everyone to see, Marilyn Monroe style but less graceful. 


I ended up enjoying my time to the fullest, eating a baguette and drinking very cheap champagne in front of this great beauty.