Wednesday, December 11, 2019

crappy attention span


Regent's Park, London

I'm reading How to Do Nothing: Resisting the Attention Economy and I've barely made it past the introduction but I already have so many thoughts. Thoughts I've had for a long time and they're still very jumbled but I think jumbled is good sometimes. All I know is that I have a shit attention span (and so do many people, I know I'm not alone) and it bugs me.

Here are my Attention Observations.

I finished all 50k words of NaNoWriMo, but I was lucky if I could write for 10 minutes at a time. That novel was the conglomerate of 5 minute chunks spread out over a day spread out over a month.

I work 40 hours a week but spend at least 8-10 hours of my free time at home working online, just because I want more money. I don't need more money at the moment, but I know future-me will appreciate it. I hate that.

Listening to music or podcasts or audiobooks on the walk to school, on the bus, in the elevator, while cleaning, in the shower, doing my skincare at night.

Switching between Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and oh yeah I forgot I had Tumblr on my phone, for HOURS a day. We all spend way more time on apps than we realize.

Going on Instagram or Twitter the moment I wake up.

Setting a timer and reading for 7 minute chunks at a time, because it's hard to do more.

Watching YouTube while eating.

Always always always pulling tugging biting at my nails.

Thinking about how I can monetize my spare time and interests.

I'm like my own inattentive parent, constantly shoving television or a new toy in front of my face because oh no the baby can't be bored for even one moment or she'll cry! 

So what? Let the baby cry. I want to be bored. I want focused boredom. I just want to focus on what actually brings me joy.

Will report back once I figure it out.